DIY Metallic Confetti


I love to create things. Whenever I finish a project, I get this lovely sense of joy (especially if the trial and error process was particularly heavy on error). In fact, part of the reason I started this blog was for a motivation to keep creating! Every finished project is like a little celebration! 

Speaking of celebration, most of my finished projects are photographed with a backdrop of metallic confetti! (It brings the party and makes it more whimsical.) In honor of this, I thought I’d put together a little tutorial of how to make your own, for party-time and photographs alike!



You will need:
 Metallic scrapbook paper
Paper cutter (optional)
Scissors
Spray adhesive


To begin, cut your scrapbook paper in half. Coat the back of one half thoroughly with spray adhesive, and wait until I gets tacky (about a minute). Then glue together your paper halves with metallic sides outwards. This makes your confetti double sided so you can throw it in the air, do a little dance, and not care what direction it falls!

Then just cut the paper into small shapes. I started by cutting the double sided piece in half again, then did this three ways:


Circles
Use a good ol’ fashioned hole punch to create small circles. To do this, go all the way around the border, snip the excess edges, and repeat.


Rectangles and Triangles

Cut strips about 1/8”-1/4” wide. For the rectangles, just snip straight across the strip at whatever width of rectangle you want. Triangles are similar, except you cut at diagonals. Alternate between right and isosceles triangles to mix it up! (Yes, I am nerdy about my geometric shapes.)


"Sprinkle" pieces (They totally look like Jimmies, right?!)
Cut strips as thin as you can, then snip across the strip every quarter inch or so to create long, skinny rectangles.


From there, it's all up to you! The ratio in my confetti was about 1 border of circles, 2 strips of rectangles, 2 strips of triangles, and 4 sprinkle strips, but do whatever makes you happy--making it your own is half the fun! You have cute, small punches? Use them! Like glitter metallic instead of shiny metallic? Yes please. Need a special color palette or theme? Go for it! (I can't be the only one who's thinking Valentine's Day, right?)

It does take a bit of patience, but 1 sheet of scrapbook paper yielded a hefty handful of confetti for me!

So does anyone out there get as celebratory over crafting as I do? If so, let’s throw a party! Metallic confetti included.

Stay lovely,

2 comments:

  1. You know, You just blew my mind with this! I had no idea it would be that simple. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete